Tonight
GordonD
2021-04-09 16:02:28 UTC
No Corrie tonight - a programme about the Duke of Edinburgh instead. Has
something happened? There's nothing about him in the news...
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
kat
2021-04-09 20:05:48 UTC
Post by GordonD
No Corrie tonight - a programme about the Duke of Edinburgh instead. Has
something happened? There's nothing about him in the news...
Can't think, something odd going on... because BBC1 and BBC2 are showing the
same sort of thing...

Don't know what is happening to tonight's episode though. Our Sky box planner
skipped the scheduled link to next Monday, and the synopsis is showing as it
should for Monday, not for tonight.
--
kat
^..^<
kat
2021-04-10 11:45:09 UTC
Post by kat
Post by GordonD
No Corrie tonight - a programme about the Duke of Edinburgh instead. Has
something happened? There's nothing about him in the news...
Can't think, something odd going on... because BBC1 and BBC2 are showing the
same sort of thing...
Don't know what is happening to tonight's episode though. Our Sky box planner
skipped the scheduled link to next Monday, and the synopsis is showing as it
should for Monday, not for tonight.
Apparently we will get Friday's episodes on Monday, and Monday's episodes on
Tuesday, so for those of you who see them all a little later it shouldn't affect
you.
--
kat
^..^<
Lucretia Borgia
2021-04-11 11:00:21 UTC
Post by kat
Post by kat
Post by GordonD
No Corrie tonight - a programme about the Duke of Edinburgh instead. Has
something happened? There's nothing about him in the news...
Can't think, something odd going on... because BBC1 and BBC2 are showing the
same sort of thing...
Don't know what is happening to tonight's episode though. Our Sky box planner
skipped the scheduled link to next Monday, and the synopsis is showing as it
should for Monday, not for tonight.
Apparently we will get Friday's episodes on Monday, and Monday's episodes on
Tuesday, so for those of you who see them all a little later it shouldn't affect
you.
Schedule stayed normal here, one episode Thursday and two Friday. At
least it did in eastern Canada but I can't speak for western, they are
4 hours behind us.
Paul Smith
2021-04-12 21:20:12 UTC
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the 1960's when they only had 2 channels.
kat
2021-04-13 07:11:46 UTC
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the 1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Friday evening the BBC showed the same thing - exactly the same - on 2 channels
and closed down a third completely, apparently!

The weekend schedules were messed up, not by more of the same but by catch up
and shifting.

There again I guess all we might lose tonight for the Corrie catch up is
probably a repeat of Who wants To be A Millionaire.
--
kat
^..^<
GordonD
2021-04-13 21:52:52 UTC
Post by kat
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the
1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Friday evening the BBC showed the same thing - exactly the same - on 2
channels and closed down a third completely, apparently!
Actually the same thing was shown on FOUR channels - BBC One and Two
plus BBC Scotland and BBC Alba (Gaelic channel).
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
kat
2021-04-14 08:58:39 UTC
Post by kat
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the 1960's
when they only had 2 channels.
Friday evening the BBC showed the same thing - exactly the same - on 2
channels and closed down a third completely, apparently!
Actually the same thing was shown on FOUR channels - BBC One and Two plus BBC
Scotland and BBC Alba (Gaelic channel).
I do believe they are on my Sky box, I flick through sometimes but mainly use my
Favourites list. I admit I didn't think to check them. Just looked to see
what I had recorded and watched something there.

Come to think of it, it could be lots, I have the feeling my BBC1 is "East" or
something. Only affects the local news though.
--
kat
^..^<
Lucretia Borgia
2021-04-15 13:27:24 UTC
Post by kat
Post by kat
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the 1960's
when they only had 2 channels.
Friday evening the BBC showed the same thing - exactly the same - on 2
channels and closed down a third completely, apparently!
Actually the same thing was shown on FOUR channels - BBC One and Two plus BBC
Scotland and BBC Alba (Gaelic channel).
I do believe they are on my Sky box, I flick through sometimes but mainly use my
Favourites list. I admit I didn't think to check them. Just looked to see
what I had recorded and watched something there.
Come to think of it, it could be lots, I have the feeling my BBC1 is "East" or
something. Only affects the local news though.
I read in the Guardian that BBC really received record complaints
about their total coverage of D of E, it was felt just one should have
covered to that extent these days.

Here they did cover the death and will do the funeral on Saturday but
it wasn't over kill - no pun intended :)
kat
2021-04-15 20:34:48 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by kat
Post by kat
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the 1960's
when they only had 2 channels.
Friday evening the BBC showed the same thing - exactly the same - on 2
channels and closed down a third completely, apparently!
Actually the same thing was shown on FOUR channels - BBC One and Two plus BBC
Scotland and BBC Alba (Gaelic channel).
I do believe they are on my Sky box, I flick through sometimes but mainly use my
Favourites list. I admit I didn't think to check them. Just looked to see
what I had recorded and watched something there.
Come to think of it, it could be lots, I have the feeling my BBC1 is "East" or
something. Only affects the local news though.
I read in the Guardian that BBC really received record complaints
about their total coverage of D of E, it was felt just one should have
covered to that extent these days.
They did I gather, and yes, one tv channel, one radio channel, and of course the
BBC news channel, that would have done. Not that I cared much, aside from
wondering when ITV would do the Corrie catch up so that I didn't miss it ( and I
nearly did as the Tuesday episode clashed timewise with other recordings, but
happily I noticed and put it onto the +1 ITV channel).

But what I felt was overkill, and no pun, was showing the exact same program on
two channels at the same time. BBC doesn't have +1 channels - they could have
shown it on BBC2 later!
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Here they did cover the death and will do the funeral on Saturday but
it wasn't over kill - no pun intended :)
I have my second covid jab appointment Saturday afternoon, during the funeral.
--
kat
^..^<
GordonD
2021-04-16 11:14:02 UTC
Post by kat
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by kat
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Here they did cover the death and will do the funeral on Saturday but
it wasn't over kill - no pun intended :)
I have my second covid jab appointment Saturday afternoon, during the funeral.
Hope you're going to cancel it out of respect.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland
kat
2021-04-17 09:47:37 UTC
Post by GordonD
Post by kat
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by kat
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Here they did cover the death and will do the funeral on Saturday but
it wasn't over kill - no pun intended :)
I have my second covid jab appointment Saturday afternoon, during the funeral.
Hope you're going to cancel it out of respect.
Ummm. No. My jab could help toprevent more funerals and I am sure Philip would
approve of that. :-)
--
kat
^..^<
kat
2021-04-17 12:00:45 UTC
Post by GordonD
Post by kat
I have my second covid jab appointment Saturday afternoon, during the funeral.
Hope you're going to cancel it out of respect.
Ummm.  No. My jab could help toprevent more funerals and I am sure Philip would
approve of that. :-)
And ... no need as it happens. mr kat had his appointment for this morning, I
went along and mentioned mine was this afternoon, so they jabbed me at the same
time.

I can be as respectful as I want now!
--
kat
^..^<
MartinS
2021-04-17 23:22:51 UTC
Post by kat
Post by GordonD
Post by kat
I have my second covid jab appointment Saturday afternoon, during the funeral.
Hope you're going to cancel it out of respect.
Ummm.  No. My jab could help toprevent more funerals and I am sure
Philip would approve of that. :-)
And ... no need as it happens. mr kat had his appointment for this
morning, I went along and mentioned mine was this afternoon, so they
jabbed me at the same time.
I can be as respectful as I want now!
Libby and I in Ontario were lucky to get our first Pfizer shot on 27
March, but we won't get the 2nd until 20 July. Many 65-79s haven't had
their first one yet. The US has twice Canada's vaccination rate.

On TV yesterday, the mayor of Windsor, Ontario complained that they
can't get enough vaccines for seniore, while across the river in Detroit
anyone 16 or over can get a shot, often the same day. However, Michigan
has a very high infection rate and is getting extra vaccine.

While Britain is relaxing restrictions and Boris is able to quaff his
irreversible pint, we've had 3 consecutive weeks of increasing
restrictions. The latest include: no travel outside the home for non-
essential purposes; closure of outdoor recreation facilities including
golf, basketball, tennis and kiddie playgrounds; no mixing with other
households indoors or out (with sn exception for people living alone);
roadside checkpoints at border crossings from Quebec and Manitoba; and a
limit of 10 people at weddings, funerals and church services, indoors or
out, except for drive-in services. This will be in force until late May.

Some schools remain open for in-person learning, but Toronto has closed
theirs. Both local high schools are closed after outbreaks. Furthermore,
Ontario is appealing for more medical staff from other provinces to
handle the case load, thanks mainly to that bloody British variant!!
Martin S.
Lucretia Borgia
2021-04-18 11:51:30 UTC
Post by MartinS
Post by kat
Post by GordonD
Post by kat
[...]
Good Luck! In NS we gave up some doses to go to the native population
specifically, they've nearly all been done and I think the new premier
Rankin will not back down on giving more away now because Ford thinks
stamping his foot will help.

The Atlantic Provinces had lockdowns early on and we watched in dismay
while people seemed to carry on as normal in Ontario and Alberta, I
can only think both premiers tried for some sort of herd immunity, as
did Trump, but as forecast by scientists, doesn't work with this.

I hope you and yours stay safe and well, take care.
kat
2021-04-18 11:52:11 UTC
Post by MartinS
Post by kat
Post by GordonD
Post by kat
[...]
I have a friend who lives in Detroit. I think she would be fascinated to know it
is that easy. She spent days tracking down an appointment for herself, then
more days for her brother. She is rising 72, he is a little younger. Admittedly
once they were found, they also got the 2nd ones quicker than we do.

I guess that high infection rate might be why it is easing!
Post by MartinS
While Britain is relaxing restrictions and Boris is able to quaff his
irreversible pint, we've had 3 consecutive weeks of increasing
restrictions. The latest include: no travel outside the home for non-
essential purposes; closure of outdoor recreation facilities including
golf, basketball, tennis and kiddie playgrounds; no mixing with other
households indoors or out (with sn exception for people living alone);
roadside checkpoints at border crossings from Quebec and Manitoba; and a
limit of 10 people at weddings, funerals and church services, indoors or
out, except for drive-in services. This will be in force until late May.
Maximum 15 people at a wedding - my son gets married on Saturday. ( They should
have got married a year ago.) The wedding breakfast must be held outdoors. And
my elder daughter can't come - she lives in Prague. 30 at a funeral. No wake,
indoors at least. i don't think we know what a drive in service would be, here.
Post by MartinS
Some schools remain open for in-person learning, but Toronto has closed
theirs. Both local high schools are closed after outbreaks. Furthermore,
Ontario is appealing for more medical staff from other provinces to
handle the case load, thanks mainly to that bloody British variant!!
And now we have both the South African variant, and the Indian Double variant at
large here. :-(
--
kat
^..^<
Lucretia Borgia
2021-04-18 13:07:58 UTC
Post by kat
Post by MartinS
Post by kat
Post by MartinS
Some schools remain open for in-person learning, but Toronto has closed
theirs. Both local high schools are closed after outbreaks. Furthermore,
Ontario is appealing for more medical staff from other provinces to
handle the case load, thanks mainly to that bloody British variant!!
And now we have both the South African variant, and the Indian Double variant at
large here. :-(
I had my first Pfizer shot March 19 and am due for second July 2, long
wait because our medicos decided they must have second on hand etc
etc. but it went square shaped when we donated a bunch of vaccines to
a considered needy group.

Personally I was not convinced they should do the eldest first, I felt
there was more of a case for giving younger, working people the first
shots. Especially those working in health care!

I think the reason it is easier in Canada than the US is in part due
to the fact we are all registered in the health care system which
surprisingly the US has never adopted. They feel it is socialism at
work :( They are the only major country that doesn't have some form
of healthcare. Private insurance costs an arm and a leg, I have two
friends who tell me the only reason in retirement they can pay it for
her is because he has veterans insurance, which he doesn't have to pay
for. They both worked all their working lives, so it does make one
think.
kat
2021-04-19 10:14:49 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by kat
Post by MartinS
Post by kat
Post by MartinS
Some schools remain open for in-person learning, but Toronto has closed
theirs. Both local high schools are closed after outbreaks. Furthermore,
Ontario is appealing for more medical staff from other provinces to
handle the case load, thanks mainly to that bloody British variant!!
And now we have both the South African variant, and the Indian Double variant at
large here. :-(
I had my first Pfizer shot March 19 and am due for second July 2, long
wait because our medicos decided they must have second on hand etc
etc. but it went square shaped when we donated a bunch of vaccines to
a considered needy group.
I had my first February 1st, second was obviously April 17th. Th egap has been
because it was decided the immunity gained from the first jab would last at
least that long and that way more people got a first. Now they have the second
jabs earmarked and they exceed the numbers of first ones being given.
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Personally I was not convinced they should do the eldest first, I felt
there was more of a case for giving younger, working people the first
shots. Especially those working in health care!
We kicked off with residents of care homes, and their carers because they were
so badly afected, but after that the second cohort did include front line health
workers.

As it has worked down the age groups it has been clear that many younger people
did get the invitation for one reason or another early. I am still wondering
what my 39 year old son in law did to merit it, no health problems, extremely
lean and fit, and a grapic designer. But who knows! His sister also got hers,
and she is with a different doctor.
Post by Lucretia Borgia
I think the reason it is easier in Canada than the US is in part due
to the fact we are all registered in the health care system which
surprisingly the US has never adopted. They feel it is socialism at
work :( They are the only major country that doesn't have some form
of healthcare. Private insurance costs an arm and a leg, I have two
friends who tell me the only reason in retirement they can pay it for
her is because he has veterans insurance, which he doesn't have to pay
for. They both worked all their working lives, so it does make one
think.
Certainly we are all registered too, and get invited to make an appointment.
Making it isn't always easy though. We have been lucky, a big centre opened on
the local showground a 10 minute drive from our house. Others could only find
availability miles away, and some aren't sure when they will get the second -
while I had to book the second before the first could be confirmed!
--
kat
^..^<
Lucretia Borgia
Go for it, for sure you can pick up the funeral later!
MartinS
2021-04-17 23:37:14 UTC
Post by kat
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in
the 1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Friday evening the BBC showed the same thing - exactly the same - on 2
channels and closed down a third completely, apparently!
The weekend schedules were messed up, not by more of the same but by
catch up and shifting.
There again I guess all we might lose tonight for the Corrie catch up
is probably a repeat of Who wants To be A Millionaire.
Who wants to watch Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, especially on repeat?
Martin S.
kat
2021-04-18 11:54:32 UTC
Post by MartinS
Post by kat
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in
the 1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Friday evening the BBC showed the same thing - exactly the same - on 2
channels and closed down a third completely, apparently!
The weekend schedules were messed up, not by more of the same but by
catch up and shifting.
There again I guess all we might lose tonight for the Corrie catch up
is probably a repeat of Who wants To be A Millionaire.
Who wants to watch Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, especially on repeat?
Not on repeat, but it is funny with Jeremy Clarkson.
--
kat
^..^<
MartinS
2021-04-17 23:34:06 UTC
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the
1960's when they only had 2 channels.

Are there still any Brits watching just BBC1 and ITV1 on 405-line B&W CRT
television sets rented from Granada?

How about people lumbered with those huge back-projection TV cabinets from
the 1990s that preceded digital flat screens?
Martin S.
kat
2021-04-18 11:52:56 UTC
Post by Paul Smith
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the
1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Are there still any Brits watching just BBC1 and ITV1 on 405-line B&W CRT
television sets rented from Granada?
Wouldn't be possible, not on 405 lines!
--
kat
^..^<
James Heaton
2021-04-18 20:03:40 UTC
Post by Paul Smith
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the
1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Are there still any Brits watching just BBC1 and ITV1 on 405-line B&W CRT
television sets rented from Granada?
How about people lumbered with those huge back-projection TV cabinets from
the 1990s that preceded digital flat screens?
I still have the latter. Lovely big Samsung 24", great sound and decent
picture. I tend not to throw away things until they break.

405 was turned off in 1985 I think, early in January. The story goes that
they put a caption up for a month, if you are watching ring this number, and
the number of call was single figures!

Pretty much no 405 only sets were built after 1964 - even the cheap basic
sets were convertible with a new tuner.

James
kat
2021-04-19 10:18:45 UTC
Post by Paul Smith
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in the
1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Are there still any Brits watching just BBC1 and ITV1 on 405-line B&W CRT
television sets rented from Granada?
How about people lumbered with those huge back-projection TV cabinets from
the 1990s that preceded digital flat screens?
I still have the latter.  Lovely big Samsung 24", great sound and decent
picture. I tend not to throw away things until they break.
And why should you, if you like it? I remember the ne we had, can't remember
the make now, it did eventually go wrong, but it was a lovely set.

I sometimes think I am the only one who doesn't care about HD. I can see enough
wrinkles on the Corrie faces with it!
--
kat
^..^<
MartinS
2021-05-04 23:09:45 UTC
Post by kat
Post by MartinS
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in
the 1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Are there still any Brits watching just BBC1 and ITV1 on 405-line
B&W CRT television sets rented from Granada?
How about people lumbered with those huge back-projection TV
cabinets from the 1990s that preceded digital flat screens?
I still have the latter.  Lovely big Samsung 24", great sound and
decent picture. I tend not to throw away things until they break.
And why should you, if you like it? I remember the ne we had, can't
remember the make now, it did eventually go wrong, but it was a lovely
set.
I sometimes think I am the only one who doesn't care about HD. I can
see enough wrinkles on the Corrie faces with it!
Especially Rita's. ;-)

I have two LG HD TVs, a 37" in the living room which fits in a cabinet,
and a 60" in the basement family room. I download UK programs such as
sitcoms and other studio productions in 480p or 540p and watch on the
37". If it's something like a David Attenborough wildlife documentary
shot with hi-tech cameras, I'll download the 720p or 1080p version when
available and watch on the 60". It doesn't cost me any more since I have
unlimited bandwidth, but it takes longer and consumes more disk space.

Our first TV in 1954 was a 17" 405-line B&W console, on which we watched
the one and only (BBC) channel from the far side of the room. A year
later, we got ITV and the dreaded commercial break!
Martin S
kat
2021-05-05 07:01:13 UTC
Post by MartinS
Post by kat
Post by MartinS
Post by Paul Smith
No change in Canada. It is only the UK TV bosses who still live in
the 1960's when they only had 2 channels.
Are there still any Brits watching just BBC1 and ITV1 on 405-line
B&W CRT television sets rented from Granada?
How about people lumbered with those huge back-projection TV
cabinets from the 1990s that preceded digital flat screens?
I still have the latter.  Lovely big Samsung 24", great sound and
decent picture. I tend not to throw away things until they break.
And why should you, if you like it? I remember the ne we had, can't
remember the make now, it did eventually go wrong, but it was a lovely
set.
I sometimes think I am the only one who doesn't care about HD. I can
see enough wrinkles on the Corrie faces with it!
Especially Rita's. ;-)
Indeed.:-) But it is some of the one ones you think of as stil being "young"
that get to me more!
Post by MartinS
I have two LG HD TVs, a 37" in the living room which fits in a cabinet,
and a 60" in the basement family room. I download UK programs such as
sitcoms and other studio productions in 480p or 540p and watch on the
37". If it's something like a David Attenborough wildlife documentary
shot with hi-tech cameras, I'll download the 720p or 1080p version when
available and watch on the 60". It doesn't cost me any more since I have
unlimited bandwidth, but it takes longer and consumes more disk space.
Our first TV in 1954 was a 17" 405-line B&W console, on which we watched
the one and only (BBC) channel from the far side of the room. A year
later, we got ITV and the dreaded commercial break!
We have a couple of HD tvs too, I forget the actaul sizes, but I think the one
in the living room is a 42", the other a little bigger is in the bedroom, but I
never, or rarely, watch that one, mr kat does. He's the one who wants the HD,
I am the one who, where I can and when I think it won't matter at all, switches
his set up recordings on the Sky box to the normal channels. A documentary with
talking heads and ancient footage for example.:-)

When I was a child we first got a tv in time for Christmas, 1959. It probably
was a 17" thinking about it - my parents tried out a few and one was smaller.
Lovely set with cabinet doors, just the 2 TV channels, but also radio and very
good sound. One of the channels was very fuzzy for a while but then we got a
new transmitter nearby.
--
kat
Post by MartinS