Biscuit
David Amicus
2020-09-23 22:41:56 UTC
In the Philippines what we Americans call cookies they call biscuits just like you Brits do.

A Filipina aide here at the nursing home just told me that.
kat
2020-09-24 07:37:42 UTC
Post by David Amicus
In the Philippines what we Americans call cookies they call biscuits just like you Brits do.
A Filipina aide here at the nursing home just told me that.
We do have things the manufacturers call cookies too, but they are a diferent
sort of thing to what we call biscuits. Biscuits are flat and crunchy, but those
which tend to be softer, and sort of thicker, or risen, we often call cookies.

But you can buy "biscuits", I have seen them in WalMart. Not so much with the
cookies, but with breakfast stuff. Sweet things made with oats. We have them
here too.
--
kat
^..^<
Lucretia Borgia
2020-09-24 11:14:08 UTC
Post by kat
Post by David Amicus
In the Philippines what we Americans call cookies they call biscuits just like you Brits do.
A Filipina aide here at the nursing home just told me that.
We do have things the manufacturers call cookies too, but they are a diferent
sort of thing to what we call biscuits. Biscuits are flat and crunchy, but those
which tend to be softer, and sort of thicker, or risen, we often call cookies.
But you can buy "biscuits", I have seen them in WalMart. Not so much with the
cookies, but with breakfast stuff. Sweet things made with oats. We have them
here too.
Here in eastern Canada we have cookies, a la USA and biscuits are
actually more like a scone. You split and butter them. Often served
with savoury dishes. They're somewhat tricky to make, it seems to be a
knack that some have and some don't.

At my local pub at lunchtime I sometimes have the 'late breakfast,
fried eggs, bacon and a biscuit' - the German chef there makes
biscuits to die for :)
kat
2020-09-24 19:55:48 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by kat
Post by David Amicus
[...]
I am very fond of buttermilk biscuits, especially smothered in sausage gravy.
:-) They tend to be lighter in texture to scones I find ( and I like them too )
but they are hard to make at home as fluffy as I get them in diners ( when I can
that is, which here at home, I can't!).

The breakfast biscuits I mentioned above that I have seen in Florida WalMarts
were actually like British biscuits. In the same packets as we get them here, so
they called them biscuits, not cookies.

But talking of breakfast, I had a lovely one last week in a cafe while we were
away on holiday and I put a pic of it on facebook ( mainly because mr kat went
for the Mega Breakfast and boy was it maega, but I didn't go that far!) and an
American friend in San Francisco said it looked yummy. And I asked him if he
could actually recognise what was on my plate and all he did was grin. So I am
none the wiser. I have never seen black pudding or bubble and squeak on that
side of the pond - and I don't know if they exist there?
--
kat
^..^<
Lucretia Borgia
2020-09-24 21:55:23 UTC
Post by kat
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by kat
Post by David Amicus
[...]
There are puddings here, German influences, but no bubble and squeak -
one pudding is Lunenburg Pudding it is what I would term a pudding as
opposed to being even remotely like a sausage.

http://arkoftaste.slowfood.ca/lunenburg-pudding/
kat
2020-09-25 10:42:58 UTC
.
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by kat
But talking of breakfast, I had a lovely one last week in a cafe while we were
away on holiday and I put a pic of it on facebook ( mainly because mr kat went
for the Mega Breakfast and boy was it maega, but I didn't go that far!) and an
American friend in San Francisco said it looked yummy. And I asked him if he
could actually recognise what was on my plate and all he did was grin. So I am
none the wiser. I have never seen black pudding or bubble and squeak on that
side of the pond - and I don't know if they exist there?
There are puddings here, German influences, but no bubble and squeak -
one pudding is Lunenburg Pudding it is what I would term a pudding as
opposed to being even remotely like a sausage.
http://arkoftaste.slowfood.ca/lunenburg-pudding/
Have to say, that looks rather nice. I am not a fan of ordinary sausages for
breakfast, but a slice or tow of that could go down all right!

My favourite black pudding is this one

https://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/clonakilty-blackpudding/

We like it because the cereal element isn't all ground up as in so many - you
can see and feel the oats. Has a lovely texture.
--
kat
Post by Lucretia Borgia
^..^<